The name PEKELHARING became linked to all aspects of Pipe Organ building in South Africa in 1952 when Mr J.H. Pekelharing [senior] arrived in Potchefstroom after having received his training from the dutch firm Jos Vermeulen. He was taken into the employ of Muller Pipe Organs. The run of Muller Pipe Organs was eventually taken over by South African Organ Builders (SAOB) of Pretoria and Mr J.H. Pekelharing became appointed as senior Organ builder and voicer.
His son Jan Pekelharing began work for SAOB where he was trained by his father and in 1983 was appointed as representative in Port Elizabeth, where Pekelharing Organ Building was established.
Jan Pekelharing Organ Building was established in 1984 with headquarters in Port Elizabeth.
Our service area was originally limited to the Eastern Cape boundry, but as opportunity allowed the area was enlarged and now includes the Eastern, Western and Southern cape boundaries. Many tuning and maintenance contracts in these areas result in them being visited regularly.
Both of Jan Pekelharing’s sons Sebastian and Daniel were trained in Port Elizabeth as Organ builders. The management of Jan Pekelharing Organ Building was handed to Sebastian and Daniel and the business was renamed to Pekelharing Organ Building in 2007.